Re: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

David Kirkdorffer wrote:
> To all the computer-based people, how many of you are running NT on your
> laptops today - a standard from just 5 years ago.  Five years from now
>what
> will be available, I wonder

I don't run NT any more, but everything I bought for NT still runs on XP
Home.
Five years from now we will be running Windows XP 2010 and it will run
most if
not all of the software you have now.

Home computer operating systems have matured to the point where I really
don't expect to see any dramatic changes other than 64-bit, more
eye candy in the user interface, and "utilities" like that new searching
feature in OS/X.  OS/X is basically Mach where it counts and that's been
around for 20 years.

I don't find the "eventual obsolescence" argument very interesting, I
guess because I've been conditioned to look at a computer purchase
like a car purchase.  I'm going to buy a new one every 4 or 5 years,
it's just part of the cost of living.  Horses live longer than
cars, but people don't seem to complain about that any more.  Should
computers be held to a higher standard?

Jeff