RE: First Drum Loop

--- goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:

> "tomorrow never knows", anyone? if it wasn't, it
> should've been.....

Ha! I could've sworn to that one, too, but when I
first read the post I decided to look it up before
saying anything. On TNK, the drums were practically
the only thing that WASN'T a tape loop.

But playing to loops certainly influenced Ringo's
drumming on that tune, which in turn led engineer
Geoff Emerick to try some interesting recording
techniques. While Ringo played the repeating pattern,
Emerick says "I moved the bass drum microphone much
closer to the drum than had been done before. There's
an early picture of the Beatles wearing a woolen
jumper with four necks. I stuffed that inside the drum
to deaden the sound. Then we put the sound through
Fairchild 660 valve limiters and compressors. It
became the sound of 'Revolver' and 'Pepper', really.
Drums had never been heard like that before."

-t-

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com