DSD (Re: sample rate)

DSD - Direct Stream Digital.

it sounds killer.

In THEORY it's the best of both worlds. Analog and Digital I mean.
There is some noise that builds as you start multi tracking but if
you over sample (we're talking in the range of 2 to 4 MEGAHertz
sampling rate) then the noise is way up in the doggy range. Obviously
there are memory and cpu blocks when juggling so much data, but we
know that stuff gets bigger better cheaper faster etc.... overnight.

DSD comes from Sony and the SACD world. But keep an eye on Kevin
Brown and Genex -

http://www.genexaudio.com/

as he is actually brave enough to put it into practice. i know some
people that have used this technology on the road to multi-track big
acts and the initial reports are that it maybe a bit flaky right now,
but it sounds killer.

- b