Re: sample rate

oh man. i tried so hard not to get sucked into this debate. but here i am.

the connect the dot explanation does help to explain how it's done, but the reason that does not quite work is just that the Max and Min points of the source are very unlikely to be the 2 points sampled. You have the same chance of sampling at the zero crossings. most likely the 2 samples per cycle are going to hit during it's ascending and descending, and get no information about max or min.

Can a 44.1k sampling rate accurately PRODUCE a 20k wave?
Sure. The details of that wave are mostly lost, but it's frequency and amplitude are approximated pretty well.

Can a 44.1k sampling rate accurately RECORD a 20k wave?
Not as easily. The waveshape is sure to be lost and the amplitude is subject to mis-representation.

Do kids today care? Do they know what they are missing?
Probably not. I am 28 and had a record player growing up. I love the sound of 2 inch tape. I love the new DSD technology. I hate mp3s. I am (we are) the minority on audio quality preference. DSD has the potential to take over the recording industry in the next 5 years. If so PCM will be like our old friend the VHS. Unless handheld mini disc recorders take over first, then we are all doomed.

Did I get this question/answer format from watching seinfeld last night?
Yes. Yes I did.

- b