Re: Real-time category

On Dec 7, 2005, at 2:37 AM, S V G wrote:

> Are you a Musician?

i think some of these arguments are a bit bass-ackwards.
having been doing real-time looping since the early 70's
using real tape loops and torturing reel-to-reel recorders
almost anything today that loops is a quantum leap forward
to me. as a video/sound artist i look for the right tool for the job.
my work doesn't necessitate sync-locked looping, i use
both hard & software loopers with delight, and incorporate
their advantages and flaws into each piece that i do. every
piece of gear is inspirational, and new paradigms lead me
into new directions. the beauty of the current state of affairs
is choice. there is such a plethora of options that no one
can reasonably say that the bases aren't covered. being a
big fan of max/msp/jitter i spend loads of time tinkering with
my patches, customizing them to my particular needs, leaving
out the stuff that i don't need. i've been having a lot of fun with
a video looper i built - light years away from the collection of
mic stands, revox machines and tape i used to use (and still
do on occasion, though i love the "tape echo" setting on my dl4.)
these are the days.

bruce tovsky

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams