Re: help..advice ...epd and sampler

On Dec 3, 2005, at 21:19, enat21213@aol.com wrote:

> i'm looking to get into playing with backing tracks live....what's
> a good hardware device (sampler) that will hold multiple songs
> around 3-4-5 minutes.

Why not get a cheap DAT recorder or mini disc? I mean if it's static
backing tracks that would be totally fool proof. I've been touring
with backing tracks on CD and DAT (2 tr stereo as well as 8 tr ADAT)
and with CD you really have to get a "DJ safe" CD player. You can not
rely on the venues to have that. Problems with some CD players is
that bass frequencies at loud levels make the backing track stutter.
That's why we always used DAT for backing tracks.

As "backing track sampler" I guess any hard drive based recorder
would do fine.

> a good live friendly software?

Ableton Live! May be a bit overkill for backing tracks, but very good
if you want to keep the freedom of playing around with arrangements
on stage.

> what do people around here use (hardware or software)?
> planing on triggering it with my edp.

One example is the Jon Hassel tour (featuring looper Eivind Aarset)
where they used Live for for the freedom of rearranging on the spot.

> planing on triggering it with my edp.

I guess you want the backing track to start when you create the first
EDP loop? This is fine with Ableton Live, but you will have to keep
off the speed button and not change the 8th/cycle (program) while
performing, or the backing track will follow those tempo shifts as
well (might be wanted though?)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)