Re: using laptops for music

Well, I just decided to jump off the cliff and ordered one of these beasts:

http://underbid.com/cgi-bin/underbid/underbid.cgi?action=display&item=1090721

I plan to use this to replace my entire looping setup...

<http://www.marksmart.net/gearhack/jazzpedalboard/jazzpedalboard.html#V2>

...by building it all in Reaktor. I will now be able to use my Reaktor big
band
horns live...

http://www.marksmart.net/sounddesign/windsounds/reaktorbigband/reaktorbigband.html

Also it will allow me to do much better Continuum demonstrations at the
NAMM
show in January. The Neko is built like a tank and so should withstand
live gigs
no problem.

What's weird is that I did a lot of research into using a laptop or a small
desktop PC, and the Neko actually ends up being CHEAPER for me, because
with it
I can use my old Layla 20 sound card and my old version of Cubase (which
requires a parallel port for the hardware dongle). If I got a new laptop I
would
have to get new Cubase ($600) and a new multi-channel sound card ($600).

The Neko hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you all know how it goes. If this
thing is
as cool as I think it is going to be, I will have several looping devices
for
sale soon!

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net/