Re: Re: EDP Settings for Using Subsitute and Quantize by 8th Notes

>Andy, et al:
>
>Should we be avoiding Substitute in MIDI control altogether?  I know
>Andy says "Direct MIDI" below, and that's SUSSubstitute (Note A#,
>22) but there's also "MIDI button" SubstituteButton (Note A#, 10).

Unless you're using the SUS version(A#) there's no difference.

SubstituteButton (Note A#, 10). Is a TOG (toggle) function.
It just sends the edp into Substitute until another button press.

This problem only happens when using SUS functions and Quantise together.

If you're doing this:

1) press down on SUS function
2) edp shows 000
3) release SUS function before 000 disappears (i.e. before the
function actually starts)
4) edp ignores note-off
5) edp is still showing 000, until it starts the function
6) edp starts the function, but now it won't be SUS, because the
note-off is already gone
7) edp stays in the function

Make any sense?

This behaviour is fixed for the Insert Button versions of
Insert,  Substitute and Replace,
and also for Multiply.

In which case the story above is changed
4) edp notices the note-off

6) edp starts the function,
7) edp counts 1 unit of Quantise ( 8th, cycle, loop)
8) EDP ends SUS function

OR
simple version
If you want to do that cool effect of replacing exact 8th notes
always use InsertMode=SUB (or rPL) and then use the Insert Button.

andy butler