Re: The End of Timeless Instruments? (Craig Anderton editorial)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony K" <bigtony@softhome.net>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: The End of Timeless Instruments? (Craig Anderton editorial)

> > Few things in life are certain.  Two of them however are:
> >
> >    1) Someone will make a lot of money on the Antique VST Host Emulator
>
> Or it'll be release as freeware like MAME (www.mame.net) so we can play
>with
> all those toys we had in the dim and distant past.

Yeah, I think this is likely. Just a couple of years ago I was able to
resurrect
a bunch of programs I wrote on my Commodore VIC-20 in 1983 for use with
the VICE
Commodore emulator:

http://www.viceteam.org/

Someone was actually crazy enough to write a program that takes your old
VIC-20
or C64 cassette tapes and turns them into files that the VICE emulator can
understand. You play the tape into your computer and record it as a .wav.
Then
this program munches on it and turns it into a tape image file. I tried it
and
it worked the first time. The tapes were 20 years old! Pretty impressive.
Now on
my PC I can play the twisted video games I wrote in Basic when I was 15.

If someone will write a VIC-20 tape converter, then it's likely someone in
the
future will write a free VST host to work on Windows ZZ. At least I hope
so. I
will be really bummed if Native Instruments goes out of business and I
can't use
Reaktor anymore!

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net/