Re: ethics (was Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to the Receptor for Mobius)

I see the "ethical dilemma" as: If you come across good ideas, should
you incorporate them in your own work? Hard to say where the line is.
In the world of VST instruments, there are many software synths that
model themselves on the architecture of popular hardware synths. Some
of these seek the endorsement of the hardware maker and some don't.

On a broad level, it seems obvious that if people didn't incorporate
the good ideas of others into their work, we'd still be in the stone
age (not to mention that the blues would not exist!)

It probably makes sense that virtual instruments start as models of
physical ones, but I'd expect the distance and differences between
them to grow over time.

--
Art Simon
simart@null.net