Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 10:49 AM
Subject: OT: sound mangling...

i think there has been lots of sound mangling threads in the archives:

i've had success w/: alesis ineko (and mine is broken partially), digitech synthwah, digitech

dsp256xl (some good wierd spacey presets), messing w/ the LFO function on my dod d12,

korg kaoss pad (version 1-had some fun wacky things in it, i'm sure the new ones have more),

digitech ips33 (for those weird harmonies), my lexicon mpx100 (some fun delay-pitch things, of course until it DIED!!! and it was the one piece of gear i bought NEW!)...

i remember when i was running all of my gear in my 4 space rack, i could get some wacky things going....the funny thing is as of late i've been using a more "minimal" set up for me:

(my old) RAT pedal-digitech rp100-ibanez de7-dod d12...i've been amazed at some of the sounds that i can generate w/ less, but it's also been about exploring what my rp100 will do (you know the cheap multi-effects), the extremes of chorus/flange, etc w/ a short delay w/ feedback on 100, can get some great sounds... also having the ibanez delay which has knobs for twisting, i play that thing about as much as i play my guitar......my last thoughts as of late is w/ sound mangling, i would imagine that you want to sound different or weird, i think the key is to get in the mode of playing different or weird to sound different or weird. i found that trying to play like EVH (or fripp/torn/etc/fill in your hero) w/ a ring modulator will sound a little weird, but ultimately it is you....in my recent explorations i've been WAY WAY detuning my guitar and seeing what i come up with, it's been most fun, b/c the stuff sounds nothing like the heros i wanted to play like back in the 80's....i suppose it could be attributed to reading all the interviews a few yrs ago w/ the detuned metal gtrists who i've never heard, but read about, the stuff filters in slow strange ways for me.....

my long 2 cents....

s---

ps-i should add i remember watching the electrix videos online of the warp & filter factory and still sort of drool over the sounds i heard....