From: hazard factor [mailto:artists@hazardfactor.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 5:04 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: RE: Defining "pro"

I define pro, in any type of 'arts', is someone who makes a commitment to
doing all that is needed to make a living through their art. Any pro will
tell you, playing music for a living is about 5% of your time playing. The
rest is on the phone, networking, promoting, designing websites, meeting
people in your town who might hire you, attending city council meetings
encouraging them to spend more on the arts, etc...
Not everyone is ok with such a lifestyle change though, and they have made
the choice that such things like a steady job, a family, a few SUVs, health
insurance and a big house are the important things to them. I know lots of
semi-pro's who are amazing musicians, certainly better than some pros I
know. For them, a professional musician's life is not for them
I teach guitar, to about 50-60 students a week, and try to play lots of
solo
looping gigs for city money, or galleries, etc...
I have to have a van to cart my stuff, and I had to buy it so I didn't have
a car payment...it is older, so insurance is low. Where I live is nice, but
small, so rent isn't bad. I don't have kids, or an expensive and
non-supportive wife/girlfriend.
Sad, but these choices directly affect whether or not musicians (at least
in
America) can make music for a living.
I am proud to call myself a 'pro musician' when people ask. I don't know
what it is like in other countries, but funny thing when you say this to
some people in America- they come back with...'at least you do what you
love'.
At least? Is there anything else? Am I supposed to feel bad/envious?
I notice though, with these great musicians I know who are not pros, when
someone asks what they do, they love to say 'I am a doctor/gym
teacher/insurance agent/secretary/whatever', and would *never* in a social
situation define themselves as a musician. Funny, though, around other
musicians they wouldn't hesitate to say they are musicians. Stigma,
perhaps?
It is sometimes hard to fight that  musicians can be regarded as jobless,
unreliable bums.
  Another topic, but Gear magazines push expensive guitars and other
instruments, and no pro I know has the latest and greatest stuff. I don't,
and never have, defined a pro by his/her gear, although magazines and
Musician's Friend want you to think otherwise. Just like Cosmo's
advertisers
want to make women think, if they buy these clothes, they will look like
the
models in the picture.

Dave Eichenberger
http://www.hazardfactor.com