OT: adrian belew and effects in the old days

on the A. Belew thread:

i remember listening to lone rhino & twang bar king back in the 80's when i was 1st learning to play and just amazed at the sounds he got and the sound of his guitar. i dreamed of being able to create those sounds, and its funny that the 1st 5-6 yrs i played i had just a guitar and amp...

and then the other day i broke out the lone rhino album and listened to it and thought how funny that all those affected guitar sounds i can now get (can't play like him), or approximate...

and how cheap things are relatively, compared to when i bought my 1st distortion box and chorus and delay, it was a lot of money for me back in 1990.

the funny thing is listening to Belew's songs, i always thought they had a general/quirky pop appeal, and figured they'd have a market along side the talking heads stuff of the day, but i never heard it in mid america, but i do remember a friend saying she used to play "big electric cat" on her (east coast) college radio show back in the early 80's....

oh well.....

s---