Re: Y2K5 ends (my personal aftermath)

I agree on the inspiration, Joe. Every time I see this many performers in a
row, there are inevitably a few that get me thinking seriously (or
obsessively) about something...trying something new, going back to
something
old, mixing things up, questioning, validating, contradicting, etc.

This time, Philipp "zurrigo" Zürcher, who I thought put on a mind-blowing
performance, even despite the fact that he lost his EDP and had to program
new one 15 min. before his set (and continually programmed it throughout
his
performance) really planted a seed in my gut and psyche....got me thinking
how I've really neglected my jazz and avant-garde jazz background and
influence with my recent looping performances...how much I've turned to
technology, gadgetry, and VST effects to produce my sound, rather than just
the notes of the instrument itself (though ironically I love it all! I love
toys!). I have a gig coming up in Boise next week...I am actually thinking
of taking just one EDP, my hollow body electric, and one speaker, just to
prove that I can actually play my damn instrument again and make music with
my own flesh and blood, like Philipp. And what he had to do on that first
song is an intense existential phenomenon I think...something I've
experienced myself, and I really felt for him....where I too lost my
looping
gear minutes before a set, and had to play solo.  It made me feel really
vulnerable and exposed, and periodically inadequate as a musician that I
didn't actually have a non-solo looping set worked up....that as an artist
and a musical identify, I could actually be dependent on technology to
express myself comfortably.  So to see someone lose their tool and still be
able to make amazing music is for me, personally and emotively, a defining
experience that forces me back to my roots, and makes me think hard how I
can bring the two worlds back together again....like what Joe Morris might
do with an EDP, man.....doesn't need no freakin' mammoth stack of VST
effects, Eventide, or 10 minutes of layered loops to finally make a musical
point. Again, I love it all here...just conveying my internal conflict and
strife....you've all done it, probably. Just too much music drilled into my
head from those webcast headphones all weekend. I've
overwhelmed....desensitized, confused, in awe....

I'm not making any judgments here, just expressing my introspections on how
the music made me feel as a looper and artist. I'm purposively
contradicting
myself. That's how I work things out and evolve. It is always bitter-sweet
for me after these events.  I walk away rejoicing in the diversity and
amazing talent, but weighed down with deep thoughts, self-doubt, internal
conflict, etc.

And Joe/Lucio - I really enjoyed your set too....very intense and free.  I
also liked Ghost7's set...some really innovative stuff on the bass. And of
course, Rick never stops amazing me with what he can do with just about any
household item for looping, and how he does so with such free, amost
child-like glee and purity.  I usually like the free improv more than
composed works, but this time my awe came from both sides. Many others I
liked...just can't think straight to get it in email now....plus I'm still
stuck in the freakin' airport - 7 hour delay.

...I have to re-think things now. I'm just getting more disturbed as I
write
more....

Kris