why do we loop?

I plan on coming to see some of the performances this weekend in Santa
Cruz (I live just over the hill in Santa Clara).  I'm excited to be able
to see what others are doing with looping in person.  After looking at
the list of performers and seeing many familiar names from this mailing
list, I got to wondering...

Are there other people on this list besides myself into creating/playing
with loops who don't perform in public?  If so, what do you get from
it...in other words, why do we loop?  I guess this question applies to
any type of artistic or creative activity that doesn't have public
performance as it's primary purpose.  It's like if a loop is running in
the forest and no one is there to hear it does it really make any sound?

Dennis