Zurich Loopfest Diary

I just got home from the Zurich loopfest,  exhilirated and exhausted (22
hours of travel time home to California)!   I had a fantastic time and
feel
so inspired to create and so turned on to new techniques and ideas that I
saw at the show, at the workshops and just jamming a lot (with Andy,
Per,Bernhard, Michael, Thomas, Rolf, Matthias and Bill).

      Michael Shieffel's fantastic show also was the coolest multiple use
of
the EDP that I have seen so far.  He has mapped all the functions out to a
midi keyboard and did a wonderful, spontaneous, funny, moving and
beautiful
set with just his voice.  Astonishing.

Bernhard Wagner just really set the bar high for future looping festivals.
So many thanks go to him and also to the great crew that he assembled to
pull off the festival.   Also huge thanks go to Matthias Grob
for hosting a wonderful stay for the loopers in his cabin in beautiful
Mathon and Thomas Maier, who saved my ass by helping me with a replacement
mixing board and a ton of helpful work and advice to get me onto stage on
time.

Almost the entire festival was enjoyable to hear.   I'm with Andy Butler
on
the only thing holding back was just the sheer amount of the performances
and the occasional loud volume.   I stuck it out, however, through Christy
Doran's New Bag set and was just completely turned on by what incredible
musicians they were.

I have written an extensive tour diary and review of each set that is up
at
my website and will be posting it and pics of the trip and the festival in
the next few days if you are interested in a more in depth analysis of the
performances.    http://www.looppool.info/diarych1.html

My only true dissapointment?      Bernhard Wagner did not do a set to
promote his beautiful new solo looping CD.

I feel good though, because Bernhard will be a headlining performer at the
Y2K5 International Live Looping Festival on October 9th in Santa Cruz.
Other international loopers coming to California
for the festival are Japanese headliners,  Hideki Nakanishi and Ryusei
Hattori and featured performers
Zurrigo (Switzerland),  Roberto Zorzi (Italy) and Andy Butler (UK).