Re: minimized loop setup

minimal?i run a guitar =dl4=strait to the board in a venue situation.easy sound check 15 seconds max...sound check my ass i just start playing and they get a level ...no need for show biz stuff like introductions, just one long sonic journey till the sound man beams me with a flashlight to "untrance"me...(its fun to end  like a dear in the headlights)
minimalism is the way(less weak links to worry about)
ten years ago i would have scoffed at this philosophy!
why do i still want stereo edps?perhaps im in denial/acceptance...

Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill <rs@moinlabs.de> wrote:
So I'm thinking about deviating from my "maximum flexiblity, maximum
processing power" approach and create a looping setup which is (compared
to most of my setups) rather minimalistic (meaning a guitar or bass and
a small custom-built floor board) but, given the small size, quite
flexible and powerful. So here is my requirement spec:

Must have:
* input for guitar or bass
* amp/cabinet modeling or something that properly replaces this
* wah, volume pedal
* looper AND delay
* possibility to do lots of weird things
* easy to "play with"

Would be nice:
* input of microphone signal possible

The setup should be installed on a board of a size...say...two FCB1010s
maximum (including power adapters etc.) for easy transportation in a
fitting case, and should not cost too much (this is not a very precise
requirement spec I'm afraid). It would also be cool to be able to reuse
some of my toys in the attic, although not really a requirement...

Here's some ideas I've come up with:

Processing:
* Korg KP2 - I already have it. I can play it with my toes
(tried that, it works). Could use it to control MIDI-controllable
devices
* Clavia MicroModular - got to find some use for it if I decide
to get a G2 engine. This can do lots of really crazy things (including a
guitar synth), can be controlled by the KP2, and can even act as a drum
machine
* Alesis Bitrman. Heard of so many people here who are using
it...
* Something by ZVex...his things seem to be cool - what about
the Machine? Or the Octane?

Wah:
* Any of you know the Ibanez WD10? This seems to be another one
of those digital modeling thingies. I had some time ago played with the
Boss VWah (or whatever) and did not like it. Is the WD10 any better?
* An alternative would be the Wah Probe by ZVex. Any users here?
* Or I could use the Bad Horsie II. This is not very flexible,
but very cool...

Amp modeling:
* Behringer's X VAmp. Nice package for my application.
Relatively cheap. Are there any alternatives? (Korg Pandora series?)

Looping/Delay:
I believe I need two devices here, one of which could be my DL4,
although it takes up lots of real estate...devices I thought about:
* Boss DD20
* Boxx RC-20(XL)
* Digitech Jamman
Both the RC-20 and the Jamman seem to be loopers "only", while the DD20
(and also the DL4) are delays with loop capabilities. I think about
combining one of each group...price-wise, the Jamman is cheaper than the
RC-20 (while the DD20 is still cheaper). Pros/Cons of RC-20 (XL) vs.
Jamman? Pros/Cons of DD20 vs. DL4?

So one possible signal chain might be:

(Guitar)->Machine->WD10->Jamman->XVamp=>MicroMod=>KP2=>(Volume
Pedal)=>DD20=>(Out)

Any thoughts about that? I've never created a setup of this kind
before...

Rainer