The PiNG presents Nilan Perera and CJ Boyd

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Tuesdays @ HACiENDA - 794 Bathurst Street at Bloor
(directly across from the Bathurst subway station) - Toronto
Doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30 - PayWhatYouCan

This Tuesday August 9th - Nilan Perera and CJ Boyd

Toronto experimental guitarist Nilan Perera has been an active member
of the Canadian creative music and performance scene since 1983 and
has been involved in some of the most forward-looking, influential and
radical ensembles of the past 19 years including NOMA, Bill Grove's
Not King Fudge, Handslang and the Excalceolators. He has also performed
and recorded with Vinnie Golia, Don Preston, Mary Margaret O'Hara,
Glen Hall, John Oswald, Vinx, Al MacDowell and Michael Ondaatje.
Perera is currently a member of trip-hop group Lal‚ prepared guitar trio
Ferrobaci (with Wiens and Bill Parsons), electroacoustic/improv duo
Smash and Teeny (with Sara Peebles) and radio art duo FaMished America
(w/Susanna Hood) as well as performing & composing as a soloist on guitar.
http://www.sarahpeebles.net/cinn_bio_perera.htm

Visiting the PiNG from Nashville, Tennessee using just a bass and a
loop pedal, solo bassist CJ Boyd creates oceans of sound - melancholic,
pensive, evocative. Virtuosity is balanced by a sense for the unlocked
emotional powers of the bass used as a solo instrument. Tending toward
teary and haunting strains, the music will melt, hypnotize, and heal
you in one sitting. http://www.cjboyd.com

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Coming Tuesday August 16th - THE AMBiENT PiNG's 6th Anniversary Special
                 featuring Zoë Keating & mara's torment
     http://www.zoekeating.com   http://www.marastorment.com

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

||: IN THE LOOP :||  by Luna Tek

GeekWeekend (Rob Hoare and Steven Sauve) arrived at THE AMBiENT PiNG
on the heels of the August long weekend, delighting their audience
with a playful approach to improvisational performance. The duo used
elements of chance - such as rolling dice - to direct their responses
to word-structures extracted from Rob’s upcoming CD (due to be released
this fall). Rob and Steven presented two gorgeous sets of music that
defied – or perhaps redefined – typical attempts at categorization.
Their electronica-meets-bebop stylings were the all the more sublime
for Rob’s haunting flute sections. As Sauve's Absynthe creations
drifted across his keyboard rhythms, Hoare processed his saxophone
though Reaktor patches in his laptop, transforming its sound into
didgeridoos and utterly unexpected tonalities. Tonight's
performance belied the veneer of cool lurking beneath
GeekWeekend's pocket protector façade.

More info: http://www.robhoare.de + http://www.karmafarm.ca

*** iPOP PING magazine is shaping up to be a wide ranging, whimsical
collection of ambient thoughts, experimental attitudes and innovative
art. Articles, poetry and art submissions are welcome until August 19
at this address: luna@theambientping.com  - Luna Tek.

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"Settings" by Thinkbox

Thinkbox describe themselves as "a self-curating media collective,
created to explore technological works and contemporary media". I
find this to be a fascinating and noble ideal, one that they manifest
to great effect in their release "Settings". Using tracks created
independently by individual members of the collective, "Settings"
is a powerful display of the Thinkbox aesthetic.

Chris McNamara's "Martahaus" is a sparse drone based piece that
pulses and flows with it's own internal rhythm before leading into
radio transmissions from distant broadcasts. It's a very cool and
very haunting piece in an industrialised way.

Bill Van Loo checks in with "A Glimpse", a lovely chill piece based
around simple bell and piano textures and forms. He takes a very
minimalist approach to environment, which comes out surprisingly
effective nonetheless.

"No Good Way to Say it But I'll Try" by Mark Laliberte is a
fascinating sound collage, an interesting blend of tones and
shapes that evokes an image slowly coming into focus. I very much
like the way this piece progresses and develops.

"Convergent" by Christopher Bissonnette reminds me of grainy
Pixelvision movie footage, perhaps something out of a Wim Wenders
film. Melodies swim up to the surface and then duck back down again
beneath the waves of sound. It's haunting and beautiful & altogether cool.

A second track by Mark Laliberte, "Diagram of a Cell", is a
lovely showing of glitchy abstract forms and shapes laid overtop
a slight pulse. Another excellent piece by Laliberte.

Steve Roy checks in with "Miscommunication", a cleverly applied
collection of telephone based samples. It's a nice example of
soundsource work sure to attract the attention of the legion of
Aube fans out there.

"Your Reply (One Year Later)" by Rob Theakston is a very beautiful
& fragile piece, a delicate weaving of sounds broken by a brittle
latticework of clicks and scratches. Beautiful, but regrettably
too short for my liking.   I would have really enjoyed seeing
this piece stretch out and develop.

Steve Roy also contributes "Doppler" an interesting take on
spatial dynamics. It's a clever and well-presented track that
I found thoroughly engaging.

"Untitled Bass Improv" by Bill Van Loo is a quivering gelatinous
mass of a song, shaky notes burbling and gurgling and shifting
in & out of synch with each other. This is a good thing by the way
and I find the track thoroughly enjoyable.

I feel that saying "Oblique" by Christopher Bissonnette is a
study in oblique motion is both an understatement and redundant.
Suffice to say that it's a very well presented piece that explores
movement and space within a confined environment. Very satisfying.

"Williamsburg, Tuesday" by Chris McNamara closes the disc, a wall
of sound where a thousand different ideas (or maybe only a few...)
come together at the same time. Listen closely and you can
distinguish specific noises, or listen less attentively and
let them all surround you at once.

I can't help but feel a sense of exploration and discovery
listening to "Settings", a feeling that previously existing
environments and atmospheres exist independent of our awareness,
but through the efforts of Thinkbox they are ours to be found
in our own ways, in our own time. Truly inspiring and truly
inspired, "Settings" is a very strong work by a very talented
group of artists.

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things
Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

THE AMBiENT PiNG is a social sound/art event presenting
live performances by Toronto's finest ambient, chillout, improv
and experimental music artists plus performers from across
the continent, every Tuesday evening at HACiENDA -
794 Bathurst Street at Bloor. http://www.theambientping.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances
or to any of your appropriate newsgroups. Thanks.