RE: Product reviews (was pedal abuse (was sitar))

Thanks Doug, you have helped me clear out some misconceptions about the
review process. From a reader point of view, it is hard to tell 'which
comes
first', the advertising or the review. I know if I do see some huge ads
around the review for the very same product, my most logical conclusion is
that "the advertiser bought 2 whole pages, so he gets a great review,
anything bad is edited out". Now, according to Per's view "if a review is
happening the ad buyer typically does request ad space on neighboring
pages.", well, this may be true, but with so many products out there, why
make it so obvious or make the reader think the advertiser 'bought' the
review? Again, it makes me think of those 'Musician's Friend' catalog
'reviews'. A run-down of the features, followed by 'if you are looking for
pedal like this, this may be the one to look for (!?!).

A good example recently discussed is the Sitar Swami...there were some
*great* reviews of this thing (and full page ads) which is now considered
one of the worst pedals ever made. It was as if the reviewer never even
tried it at all. Same with the new Crossroads and Hendrix pedals.

I realized there is a balance here- the magazine must balance ad $, with
target audience, with at least a nod towards a non-biased review process.
And space- guitar mags don't have the space that Sound on Sound does, and
music software has a lot more features than most amps. Guitar mags are
making everything shorter these days- tiny interviews (remember 12 pages in
Guitar Player about Holdsworth's Synthaxe?)...they are getting to be like
Cosmo with all the ads- oh yeah, get off my lawn...

As far as letting the manufacturer seeing the review first- I remember
reading a review, then seeing an ad in the same mag with quotes from the
review a few pages earlier. Funny, that. It would be awesome though, for a
CD reviewer to contact the band to see if he got his facts 'straight'. But
band doesn't have the money to take out an ad in the next issue, I am
guessing.

My favorite reviews (and most interesting to read) were those Guitar Player
shootouts in the 80s. Manufacturers and players alike talking about a lot
of
gear at once. I understand how hard that is to do, but it was still
interesting to read. Even just pitting a few different pieces of gear aimed
for the same market against each other helps me understand what one can do
and the other can't.

I also find it interesting to know about the crap they send to you- I
honestly thought the builder would labor over a special 'review piece' to
get stuff right.

Dave Eichenberger
http://www.hazardfactor.com