Re:zen and the fluent music-Cage

Andy wrote:
"wow, Can't believe you don't love the prepared piano stuff.
..............kind of gamelan mutates into Eric Satie....."

Oh, my bad, Andy.   I LOVE THE PREPARED PIANO STUFF TO DEATH!!!!!!
Am I shouting?   Why yes, I am.   Seriously,  it has had an enormous
impact
on the way
I play music.   I am so into 'preparing' anything from traditional trapset
drums (where i have
tried every single type of substance to get alternate sounds out of drum
heads and cymbals)
to my toy guitars and basses.

My latest thing was inspired by a very, very young and brilliant student,
Elias, who is the son of
the wonderfully talented couple Rick (made custom guitars for everyone
from
Linsdey Buckingham to Prince) and Jessica Turner (a wonderful child
musical
educator)  he asked me about
a couple of piezo pickups that I bought for cheap for triggering samples
from acoustic drums.
He took the piezo , turned up loud and then held it against one of my
beautiful resonant brass candy dishes so that the pick up itself was the
vibrating resonator. The vibration of the bowl 'buzzes' the
pickup...........add to that the feedback from amp proximity and you can
play both that resonance (hold it harder agains the bowl and the buzzes
are
more frequent, away and they slow down and last longer) and the feedback
which both interact.
It's hard to control but I want to just improvise for a half an hour and
then cut it all up and loop it in the computer.  He's got me trying this
technique with all kinds of sounds now, including the new
Door-Stop-A-Phone
that my father just built me  (9 different sized door stoppers on a
resonator/guitar like body).

Yeah,  the prepared piano stuff................so cool.

Matter of fact, there was a very creative artist owned warehouse in Santa
Cruz for a long time and they had a huge and very fucked up sounding board
from an ancient grand piano.
They just had it standing up against one wall and I use to love going in
their and 'playing' it.
I always wanted to record a piece on it but the city tore the damn thing
down before I could.

Yeah,  the prepared piano stuff.   how could I forget that stuff?

Like you say, Reich meets gamelan.