RE: the diatonic-chromatic-noise paradigm

That's very true, Rick.....I guess I discovered that when I started to
study the sitar a few years ago.  There is a lifetime of study out there
within the frame-work of scale-based music, but not Western diatonic.
It's downright scary.  Although, you would just force me to redefine
"pretty" here to these systems as well.  I should have expanded my
definititon to the beginning to equate to "music that feels bad to
99.99% of the human population! He heh.....I'm sort of joking here, but
sort of not.  It's like I have a pschologically aversion to anything
that could potentially be in the popular section of a music store,
regardless of what country, culture, or ethnic group.  It puts me in the
awkard artistic position of potentially admittin that I DO in fact like
the idea of doing things differently for the sake of being different...I
know that may sound attrocious to some.

Have you ever seen one of those kids who sits back and watches every
other kid start and complete the design of their project, and then
purposely do something that goes completely against the grain of all of
that just because? That would be me, no excuses.

Kris