Re: what about patchbay ?

Yeah, I figured I'd need something for the mic prior to a line mixer.

Actually, when I said line mixer, I was confusing that term. What I
actually meant was the splitter/mixer units like the Ultralink. THOSE
are the things I can't wrap my head around. I'll have to read through
your description below a few times (and probably diagram it on paper)
to get it through my thick skull. The stereo output isn't a
show-stopper, though, since either of the amps I'd use has multiple
inputs. These are small-venue gigs, so I can easily get by with my
Peavey KB100 for amplification (maybe even the Carvin AG100D would
do).

So, now that I've got the terminology straight, is there an idiot's
guide to splitter/mixer units anywhere? Even Google wasn't very
helpful. I'll have to try a bunch of different search terms.

Thanks,

Jon Southwood

P.S. Rainer, I believe you helped me decide on the Behringer 2642A a
few years ago. I love it. It was great advice. Thanks.