Re: was

You know, I just heard an interesting segment on NPR, about Tom Waits
(successfully) suing advertisers using sound alikes.  Using songs that
sound similar to his songs, but not the same, the claim being they are
appropriating his style, persona, sound, etc.

But even more interesting was a sound alike version of Bette Midlers
performance of "Do You Want to Dance" - which of course she didn't
write - so she has no claim over the intellectual property, only the
style of the performance, which the sound-alike singer (remarkably
successfully) emulated.  Check it out at

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4633751

Music
Tom Waits Fights to Stay Independent
 by Joel Rose

All Things Considered, May 6, 2005 · Musician Tom Waits is popular
among a small but loyal group of listeners. He is also popular with a
group most people would not associate with his sound: advertisers.
Waits, however, does not want his music selling products and continues
to successfully use the law to challenge corporations misappropriating
his image.

It's getting very very tricky out there!