Re: Any work done with the Boss DD-20?

Carl wrote:
>I'm not even sure that I'm going to require fading at all. My plan is to set up backing and bass lines on the fly and changing them as my tunes progress. The changes will be sudden. I realize that this will take a lot of practice to do clean with any unit I choose.

Here's how I'd do this on the DD-20:
1) Prepare two different memory settings in memory slots 1 and 2. Each setting will have its own ms value and feedback setting. The settings can be completely different, or they can be identical. For the purposes of conventional song structure, you'll want ms values that are either identical or a simple multiple/division of each other - a riff that takes up 4000ms (8 beats at 120bpm) and another at 8000ms (16 beats at 120bpm), for example. Since you don't want your riffs fading out or "morphing" into each other (...yet, heh, heh, heh) you'll also save each memory setting with 100% feedback.
2) Build up Riff A in memory slot 1 - one pass with a bass line, then another pass with chords, for example - then press the left pedal. This "turns the delay off" but actually just isolates the stored/delayed signal from any new input, while the captured material keeps recycling at 100% feedback. Play/sing over this to your heart's content. When you're ready to move on to the next section, drop the feedback to 0%. Press both pedals at once at the exact moment you'll want to begin your new riff. The 0% feedback will now kick in to memory slot 1/Riff A (which will repeat one final time), and memory slot 2 will be active. You can begin playing your first pass of new material (Riff B) at this same moment (over the final repetition of Riff A) or you can wait until Riff A magically disappears after one final cycle.
3) Now you can repeat all of this with memory slot 2 and a potential memory slot 3. Just remember that the DD-20 has only 4 memory slots and one "manual" slot to save tyour settings in. This could mean reprogramming it for every song you play. That's a lot of bendover for a traditional musical performance.

I have not used the Loop Station, but I suspect that it might be friendlier to a traditional musical application such as you've described. Most significantly, you could store (more) phrases in advance of your performance. Users, weigh in!
dB, coyote