Where to Play--CD Sales?

I was gone this weekend and last, playing a Crafts Festival in Vegas and
Reno with a variety show--this falls into the "Admission charged, don't
have
to bring an audience" category.
I set my loop pedals up on Day 3, hoping for a solo set--did not
materialize--
Much of our crowd was mothers with small children and husbands trying to
kill time while their life partners "burned the credit cards to the
ground".
There is still some work out there, you have to beat the bushes--but these
days, there are lots of alternatives to live music that are cost
effective--ya gotta sell it (if you can or want to)or they won't buy it . .
.
I have to think that having a product makes it more feasible to put
yourself
into the live performance job market, if only to enable you to work rooms
where CD sales make up for lack of guaranteed income.
Is this most loopers' experience?
Gary