Waveform trimming at zero-crossing issue

This is so frustrating.  I can sucessfully trim or crop and save ALL audio
file types at desired zero-crossing points EXCEPT for MP3 files.  Whenever
perform a trim or crop function on the waveform it looks fine on the
monitor
and as long as it is still loaded in memory, but each time I save it to a
file and reopen it, (regardless of what software I am using, Cool Edit,
Cakewalk, Sound Forge) there is always a few milliseconds of silence
inserted at the beginning and appended to the end of the waveform.  Surely
others have experienced this and may know why this happens?  Based on my
success with all other files types, I am starting to believe this must be
inherent with MP3 file compression.  Can someone confirm this.

If there is a workaround I would love to know what it is.  Thanks to all.

Diane (Chucks account)