LXP-5 not working

I just bought this Lexicon unit, used.
Have the manual.

I believe it's broken, see description.

(synth keyboard running through it, stereo, unbalanced
connections, no midi)

When playing a note:

--sound is weak, distorted.
--intermittent from one channel or the other.
--starts delay"ing" all-of-a-sudden, then stops.
--Input/Output knobs work.
--turning other knobs seem to have no affect.
--I bought it with a LXP-1, and that works.
--I've tried to find a reset and tried disabling
Global patches and re-enabling them, no change.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it doing me wrong??

Thanks,
=RANDY=