Re: Line 6 DL4: Since we are on the subject.

At 11:34 AM -0800 3/29/05, Richard Zvonar wrote:
>At 9:56 AM -0500 3/29/05, magicicada wrote:
>>I use 3-4 Line 6 Dl4s in my setup and have been noticing an issue with
>>the metal Toggle switches on them as of late. It seems that they get
>>worn out quickly and start getting jammed at horrible & crucial
>>moments. Maybe I am too hard on the metal toggle switches when I stomp
>>down on 'em but, I do not think that is the case. Have any of you ever
>>had this sort of problem with your DL4? thanks!
>
>Is the problem with the metal switches or with the switches mounted
>on the circuit board? In case you don't know (many people don't) the
>metal "switches" that you see and interact will actually don't have
>any signal passing through them. They simply actuate smaller (and
>more fragile) switches inside the unit.
>--

This is something I have noticed more and more and it really gets me
going. A few years ago I got the Lexicon G2 and the R1 footswitch
that went with it. I had been using Lexicon gear for quite a while
(my first looping was done with an LXP 5! Not recommended) and was
always very happy with their customer services, etc. Within a week of
getting the R1, the switches started getting flaky. I discovered that
what appear to be footswitches are just plungers for surface mount
film switches. There was a known problem with a batch of switches,
but instead of doing a recall or decent QC, they sent them all out
anyway. So, I had to send the unit back at my cost and wait three
weeks for them to replace the switches. You would think that since it
was brand new, they would swap it out with another unit and not
charge me for shipping, but no. I would say that as far as customer
service goes, the Harmon Group move was a bad one. When they go bad
again (and they will, it's just a matter of time), I intend to
replace them all with real switches. For a $400 pedal, I really
expected a lot more.

</rant>
Edwin
--