Re: Live 4 (1st loop)

On Mar 28, 2005, at 22:20, Jeff Larson wrote:

> This isn't really related to the original post, but since we're
> talking about Live I have a question regarding "1st loop capability".

8< 8< 8< 8< 8<

> I remember reading on this list several months ago that there was a
> fundamental problem with plugins being a sync master for Live

8< 8< 8< 8<

Hi,

There is a thread for wishing better performance from Live on these
matters at the *Ableton forum:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11557

Personally I don't have a problem with Live catching up slowly. Maybe
because I have been using a Repeater slaved to an EDP? The Repeater
constantly struggling to catch up the new tempi. I have to say I
acutally liked the sound of the two loopers going in and out of perfect
sync. To my own taste Live is almost too fast to catch up, I can never
get that slooow phase of speeding up or slowing down to reach the tempo
of the other looper.  So that's why I nowadays tend to run Live as the
sync master and slaving the EDP (but also because I like to go
Half/Double tempo in the EDP without having the entire "wall of sound"
bending over).

But I do see your point! The 1st loop functionality is really powerful
when performing live. You can simply start playing and off you go.
Never have to think about tempo, it's all about the music. This I have
only experienced with the EDP as sync master and a slaved Repeater.
When looping together with other musicians I still find the EDP the
best way of syncing, because you can always sync manually by redefining
the loop length on-the-fly (multiply-rec, re-rec etc).

With Live 4 as master I have to keep a pedal mapped to the Tap Tempo
function and I find this a little more troublesome than the EDP
"destructive" method.

BTW I suspect this discussion about software looping also is biased by
everyones different tastes in music making with loopers. When it comes
to creating music with chord changeds there are two different
approaches in live looping:

1) There is one technique in live looping where you play melodies and
chord changes into a long loop and than overdub layers. To me Matthias
Grob is a very good example of doing this very well on the EDP. You can
build music in the classic "Tubular Bells" (Mike Oldsfield) way. Then
do a destructive cut-out of a segment of the long piece you have
looping and start building again from that seed. The option for using
this technique I do miss a loot in software looping (yes, got
SooperLooer, but the Jack 6.1 is only working on my big G5 and not on
my PowerBook with an Echo i/o card).

2) Another technique, especially well suited for the software available
today, is to record shorter loops in parallel and use midi pedals to
transpose the loops to match chord changes on-the-fly. For doing it
this way, I have gravitated towards using Augustus Loop in Live 4. I'm
afraid I don't know about any looping plug-in for Windows that can be
transposed while looping/recording/overdubbing.  An eventual "drawback"
(but again, this all depends on your musical tastes) is that the loops
is getting shorter when transposed to higher pitches and vice versa. I
kind of try to adapt to that musically, but I admit I miss the option
of also playing like "alt 1" (above) in software. So "a fix" to stay
clear of too radical poly rhythm, has been to create midi clips in Live
(controlled from midi pedals) that induce a soft beat synced tremolo to
the loops. If the looping is getting too "washy" I can steer it up by
slapping a tremolo on one of the loops (or both). Here's an audio clip
example of that Powerbook/ Live4 / 2 Augustus Loop set-up:
http://www.looproom.com/Future_Leadership_Hits/flute_livelooping.mp3

Musolomo for OS X is said to be able to overdub loops as well as time
stretch the length, but I have not been able to get it working for me.
It seems you need to send a midi note to trigger the loop (like in
pHATmatic PRO) and I have not taken the time to set up an environment
for that in Live (but I guess it would be possible to do).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---
http://www.looproom.com (international)