Re: Guitar MIDI pickups

Title: Re: Guitar MIDI pickups
At 9:50 AM -0800 3/25/05, mike feeney wrote:
What I'm hoping to find is one with a standard 5-pin
midi out so that i can just run it into my Mac and use
the software synths I have on there.  The Roland stuff
uses a 13-pin thing, I believe...

My impression is that the Roland 13-pin system has become the de facto standard for guitar MIDI and Vguitar systems. This means that any current pickup systems such as the Roland GK and the RMC units will be compatible with whatever "brain" you are using to encode the pickup signals as MIDI. Consider that the Casio 15-pin system has been out of production for several years and therefore represents an earlier state of development in guitar pitch tracking. The positive reviews of current-generation Roland and the Axon systems suggest that you'll get better results from one of those, fed by a 13-pin source.

Of course, your budget may govern your choices to a great extent. If you want the convenience of direct connection from guitar to MIDI tone module, if your budget is limited, and if you aren't overly concerned about tracking accuracy, your best be may be to scour eBay and other sources for a Casio MIDI guitar. Otherwise, just buy a Roland system or a GK pickup and the convertor of your choice.

I have a Roland-ready Stratocaster and a Yamaha G50 Guitar MIDI Convertor (Axon tracking technology from Blue Chip). It works great!

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://salamandersongs.com