Why *not* to buy a nEKO (was: Re: All-Laptop live??)

Well, Mark, for serious horsepower you'd need the 64-bit dual opteron
processor - neKo64 with Dual Opteron 64-bit 1.4GHz/512MB RAM/80GB
HD/CDRW/Touchscreen
 -  a minimum of 1gig of ram - especially for largish sample-banks. Also
required is an extra harddrive and a case for transportation (forklift
not included - the above system weighs in at almost 100 pounds!!!)
It doesn't really have any software on it, that isn't either freeware in
the first place.
All of this bulky, ugly-looking stuff for the low, low price of just
7,485$!
Now, let's examine what we can get for that kind of money:

My Alternate System:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=83-102-610&DEPA=0
- An AMD64 3500+ pc with one gigabyte of ram, a 200g harddrive, and all
the trimmings .1668 $
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-016-046&depa=1
- A Planar 17" touchscreen LCD monitor 758 $
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=23-134-025&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
- laptop-style keyboard and touchpad 54 $
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-140-151&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
- maxtor 200 gig 7200 rpm drive.103 $

That's got the basics more-or-less covered: Touchscreen, really fast
computer, tiny keyboard with trackpad. And I'll bet you it's easier to
lug around. So, how much was that? It totals out at $2,582.99. Leaving
you with about a cool 5 grand. You could buy a decent car with that
money. or ten macMinis. Or a killer soundcard and a trip to Bermuda. Or
a chapman Stick. Or, if you desperately want to spend: Spend on one of
these:

http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Order/WebHome
- An awesome Kyma, with extra processing board, MotorMix controller( -
doesn't get much better than a motormix), a carrying case and a Wacom
board!!!
 - all of this KYMA-stuff is  4937.00 $

SO:
BAD-ASS PC SYSTEM W. TOUCHSCREEN: 2583 $
BAD-ASS KYMA SYSTEM                            :  4937 $
- vs. the measly nEKO 64.... tsk.
Of course you shouldn't run out and spend all that money, that's partly
my point - that no-one in their right minds would buy 8000$ worth of
computer gear in one go, why should nEKO be treated any differently?

Andreas
PS: the suggestion I made for an alternate, way cooler system is of
course a BYOMK, bring your own midi keyboard, but those are cheap as
chips..
PPS: oh great, now I*VE got a major case of G.A.S. for the Kyma system.
*sigh*.
PPPS: What ever you do, don't buy a nEKO!

mwsmart@insightbb.com wrote:

Hey Kris, maybe you can help me...I'm having a severe GAS attack for one
of these: