Re: EDP Hiss

Ha...I dug through the archives and found this (see below).  I did as
Kim suggested (more input, less output) and now I'm getting much better
performance.

It makes sense to me now.  Learn something new everyday...

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Tom

http://www.loopersdelight.com/LDarchive/200406/msg00558.html

 From Kim Flint to Jesse Lucas.....

At 02:48 PM 6/25/2004, Jesse Ray Lucas wrote:
>Tell me that my gain staging is wrong, but it doesn't matter if I go
>direct
>in, or through a preamp.  I've can have a healthy green light on the input
>signal indicator and the output cranked up, but the loops always seem to
>have mad hiss to them.

probably your gains are set wrong. Turn the input up higher, and the
output
lower to compensate. If it isn't clipping or the limiter isn't obviously
kicking in, you have more headroom to use. Make sure you are using the
loop
path for setting gains, as it has less dynamic range than the direct. If
you don't use the full dynamic range, the noise floor ends up sounding
relatively louder. That is probably what you are experiencing.

>Not the direct signal, just the loop playback.

The digital path (of anything usually) has less dynamic range than the
analog path, and so will have a higher relative noise floor when compared
to the analog path.

kim