Re: Improvisation Ears, Styles, and chops

    Interesting,I saw most of an audience ,who loved Chuck Mangione's set
walk out on Branford,cause they couldn't understand what he was
playing.But
what he played was stellar.If I just listened to either  Brnford and
Wynton
like to throw around provacative opinions,even about each other,good thing
they can blow.

Yea, I remember being bothered by his remark, I think it was regarding
something about Cecil expecting the audience to do some work and be
prepared
for
difficult listening.

Branford's scorn and dismissiveness seemed to ignore the history of jazz
development and to be intellectually lazy or perhaps just
anti-intellectual.
So
art is supposed to be instantly familiar and accessible, otherwise it is
"elitist" or merely "pretentious"? He apparently is happy to promote a
lowest
common
denominator approach that panders to an audience and is comfortable dissing
more adventurous approaches.