One Redeeming Quality of Solo Looping (was Improvisation Ears)

It seems to me that one reason for solo looping is the ability to use your
"big ears" to stretch your musical boundaries, in a way that ensemble
playing, even with the most gifted musicians, usually does not--they all
have their own agendas, and their mind reading is spotty at best.

I truly enjoy finding my way in unfamiliar musical situations--but looping
while improvising is all of that!

I like what Andre said in the Ronan interview (thanks Chris!) at 1:19:10
about "throwing my playing back at myself"--and listening twice as hard as
you play!

Gary