Re: Sit or Stand? Guitarist and Bassists only

I stand as often as I can. I love to stand, I love to move to the music, I
am not afraid to bend over and tweak a knob on a floor pedal, I love to tap
my foot - sometimes I HAVE to tap my foot (or feet) because of the
polyrhythms I use, and I prefer moving my whole body to a rhythm. I love to
see the audience and don't mind at all if they see me. In recent looping
rehearsal I discovered my foot cramping up the next day after one-two hours
of loop-stomp-tap-at-a-precise-subdivision-of-a-beat-and f-a-d-e-up the
volume-fx-just-so. So practicing standing is obvious to me. Like doin' the
crane in "The Karate Kid."

I think the linear continuum of musician< >performer is a fascinating one.
I'm lucky, I guess. I don't *plan* to put on a performance, I just move to
the music (or not). And yet I feel quite aware of my physical presence as a
performance that the audience is receiving. I'm fine with that, but I also
really dig musicians who minimize their performing persona, and those who
maxmize it. And those who are not musicians, but perform well. And those
who
copy performance quirks because they un/consciously want to "look like
they're creating music."

- dB, coyote