RE: tape looping/tape delay KLANGUMWANDLER

Title: RE: tape looping/tape delay KLANGUMWANDLER

 >> Thanks Stephen for the post about the "klangumwanler." [snip] The only stuff I seem to turn up on google is lots of Wendy Carlos stuff and a few very casual mentionings of the work klangumwandler. Do you think this would be tricky to build? The one I saw in "How Things Work" looked like a detachable or retrofit unit. It seems that one would have to come up with some kind of a circular "railroad track" kind of brush that the contacts for head could ride in [snip]

a small keyboard controller for the motor speed of the unit.....<<

I have a vague recollection of that ampeg device too..... but for the former, hopefully the following will satisfy:

I have searched instead on the old interweb for mention of a device I knew as "eltro". I first saw mention of this thing, made IIRC by a german or austrian company (AEG? AKG? telefunken? EMT, as it turns out, the same people who made the reverb plates), in the glossary section of the booklet that came with "the nonesuch guide to electronic music".

this double LP set was "realised" by beaver & krause on an early-ish moog 3-series & is probably quite rare.
the "eltro" was explained as a tape-device for independent alteration of pitch & tempo. I had a much higher IQ back in those days (when I was 9 or 10) & figured that such a device would need a rotating head system. paul & bernie didn't have one, but I bet they wished they had.

I have, like steve, seen pictures of this device, though I can't recall where.... the bbc radiophonic workshop had one, which attached somehow to the side of one of their regular 1/4" decks (a philips- seems they made broadcast decks too, back in the day).

rotating heads used to operate with brushes as steve describes, but since the early days of vtr (late 50s), rotary transformers have been used instead. basically, the head assembly is constructed with a cylindrical transformer coil around it, & the whole assembly spins within a static secondary coil.

anyway.

this from the AES.org timeline of recording-related inventions:

1965

    * The Dolby Type A noise reduction system is introduced.

    * Robert Moog shows elements of his early music "synthesizers."

    * Eltro (Germany) makes a pitch/tempo shifter, using a rotating head assembly to sample a moving magnetic tape.

    * Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass tour with a Harry McCune Custom Sound System.

while this pdf for a recent dolby pitch-shifter mentions the "emi eltro" in passing, while describing an altogether more mundane requirement for independent pitch/time shifting.

http://www.resolutionmag.com/pdfs/REVIEWS/DOLBY585.PDF

a more detailed discussion from this 78s forum:
http://www.78online.com/forum/read.php?f=3&i=1581&t=1581

(but save yourself the effort, it's pasted below)

& this thread, but note it's the same machine at gotham recordings.... interesting anecdotes about the beatles & sam cooke in the autotune debate too.

http://www.audiobanter.com/q-t_10075-Re-Tuning-vocals-started-when-by-who.html