RE: Musicians Wanted

       How ,and on what the audience members focus attention is the
crucial
variable here.The difference is between direct and diffuse attention.Those
who come for music direct attetnion to the stage more often ,those who
came
to eat ,drink socialize ,see and be seen less often.I've certainky been to
music events where the audinece was very focused on the stage ,but not
necessarily the music. So much of this has to do with where the eyes are
directed,but one can hear without seeing.
   But what of the performer's attention.The standard show biz tricks
HELLO
CLEVELAND ,LET ME HERE YOU SAY,make the audience feel attended to.What do
you do when the audience is applauding ?Do you fiddle with gear,or noodle
on
the notes of the next song,do you listen to the applause/Do you open
yourself to it as you would a truly great piece of music and let it move
you?
An interesting approcach  esp for improvisational music is for the
performer(s) to pay very keen attention to the audience-but in a diffuse
way.The idea is to really hear and feel the physical and emotional energy
present in the room,or space the performer and audience share.,I think to
the extent that one can feel the vibe and express music into that energy
field in a way that moves with it the audience finds the music,true
irresistable .like steering out of a fishtail when driving.If we really
are
attuned to these spectrums ,treating the visual as secondary,the audience
will experience the music wether they pay attention or not.
  I opened for Fishbone once and they'd mastered this approach in a
perverse
way. Rock music that's meant to be annoying to parents( I know that's
redundant ,but it is  how certain styles work,now that I'm old enough to
have teenagers maybe I could get rich by creating music that I hate))
becomes predictable and you can start to partially screen i out ,but
Fishbone was so attuned that as soon as you would start to screen they
would
change and become more annoying.If they applied those skills to music
designed to make you feel high they would be totally amazing.Anyway it's
not
the subjective aesthetic qualities that make this approach work.Perhaps it
could be called Ambient Attention,yet another oxymoron.