Re: THE BEST CHEAP RECORDING SOLUTION

hi rick,

technically any recording medium that uses compression is not
high-fidelity, (hi-fi) so it depends not so much on the quality of the
recording medium as the expected quality of the playback medium.  that
is, what is the intended use of these recordings?  mini-disc and mp3 are
lossy compression schemes, so they degrade the audio signal no matter
what the marketing hype says, but they can both produce good quality
recordings depending on you intentions.  Using headphones, I find mp3s
trying to listen to at anything less than 256kb/s, as I can hear the
swishy flange like compression artefacts in things like cymbals , and
minidisc similarly seems to mutilate the upper frequencies a bit too
much for my ears (or whatever upper range hearing that hasn't been
blasted away by overdriven guitar amps and pub gigs).  as a result I try
to record to a raw, uncompressed format like .WAV or .aiff wherever
possible.  But that is only if I'm recording for listening pleasure.  If
the recording is just for personal reference and quick and dirty
sketches, so to speak, then it's not so much an issue.

another option is to go with a portable dat deck, as these are
apparently getting blown out dirt cheap on ebay at the moment, and
possibly in stores as well (haven't looked).  the dat mechanisms are no
longer being manufactured, so it is possible to find portable units
around the us$150 mark, or so I have heard on the internet grapevine.
this is a lossless format that will produce superior quality to minidisc
and mp3 - only thing being that if your tape mechanism dies, you'll find
it increasingly harder to get it repaired I assume.  I'm also assuming
the dat tapes are going to go up in price as the format becomes
superseded. (which again could also mean now is a good time to stock up
at blowout prices...)

-michael