From: Tom Combs [mailto:tcombs@sep.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 1:11 PM
To: loopers-delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: EDP Noise Problem (overheating?)

I have an Oberheim EDP (beige panel, maximum memory) has a noise problem
and I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the voltage
regulator overheating issues I read about in the archives.

Say I record a loop and I leave the unit running for a long time (a few
hours).  Eventually the loop will deteriorate, and any new overdubs I
apply at that point also come back immediately degredated.  It kind of
sounds as if the D/A becomes starved for voltage.  I have noticed that
my
unit gets pretty hot right around where I've read the voltage regulator
lives.

I should add that turning the unit off for 5-10 seconds fixes the
problem.

Another possible symptom is that I notice my loops contain an increased
level of hiss when compared with the input signal (I notice this
immediately after I hit record after recording a loop - it isn't due to
repeated overdubs).  The amount of hiss seems to vary at random.
Sometimes it's a little noticable but tolerable - other times it's
downright distracting.  I've read that these units are supposed to be
quiet and have some of the best audio performance specs of most of the
loopers that are out there.

Thanks in advance,
Tom