Re: Put Your Voice Where Your Mouth Is

At 9:36 AM -0800 12/29/04, Alex Stahl wrote:
>On Dec 29, 2004, at 8:46 AM, Richard Zvonar wrote:
>
>>At 9:38 AM -0700 12/29/04, Krispen Hartung wrote:
>>Too bad we can't read this without signing up as a member for the New
>>York Times.  Can you copy the text into an email to the group.  Not that
>>I can't signup, but it's sort of a pain for one article.
>>
>>Really? It wasn't that way previously. In fact, just last week I
>>sent TImes links to some people without problems.
>
>It's been that way for years, afaik

I guess the people I customarily send NY Times links to have just
signed up for the access. It takes about a minute, doesn't cost
anything, and allows you to receive a daily digest or not, depending
on your preference.

Obviously it was a mistake for me to post a pointer to what I thought
was an amusing article about lip-syncing and the history of show
business. Because of Kripen Hartung's complaint, I revisited the
article and posted it to the list (a waste of bandwidth in some
people's opinion, I'm sure), then I investigated the situation by
first checking my e-mails to see just when I had sent NY Times links
to some friends who then commented on them (I guess they must have
signed up), then I went to my wife's computer and checked the link
and found that indeed Hartung and you are both right about the need
to sign up in order to read the articles. So I've just wasted several
minutes, but I've learned two things: 1) the NY Times does indeed
require that you sign up in order to read their articles, and 2) some
people will always look a gift horse in the mouth.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://salamandersongs.com