Re: CONSTRAINT OF RANDOMNESS

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 10:46:24AM -0500, burnett@pobox.com wrote:
> Regarding Rick's long and interesting discussion on looping, exact
>copies,
> and small randomness "livening up" a repetitive pattern: as I remember
> things, one tenet of information theory (as I learned it) is that the
>more
> of the content of a message that you are able to predict, the less
> information that message contains. So predictability is inversely
> correlated with information. So even slight variations in a repetitive
> sequence raise the level of information.

        This reminds me an article about the degree of chaos in
Jackson Pollock paintings.
http://www.physics.hku.hk/~tboyce/ap/topics/pollock.html
is the article.

        The idea being that theres a certain level of
chaos/complexity/randomness that people find aesthetically
pleasing.

        I find it interesting because I tend to belive
most people have a certain level of complexity that they
enjoy, and that in most cases, this applies across
many areas (visual art, music, literature, humor, etc...).
Complexity in the sense of amount of chaos/randomness and
not technical complexity that is.

        Of course, there is a lot more involved in
what art people like than simply what they find
aesthetically pleasing. But the idea might be interesting
when applied to algorithmically created music/visuals etc.
I could easily see a Art-O-Matic[1] 2000 with a big
knob for "complexity" (or detail, or randomness, etc...)

[1] not to be confused with the Art-O-Mat http://www.artomat.org/

Adrian Likins
http://www.phasmatodea.net