re: CONTRAINT OF RANDOMNESS

Andy Butler wrote:
"
There's no denying it:   this can be as boring to listen to as listening to a perfectly quantized drum machine pattern looping over and over.

..and a drummer playing the same thing over and over is interesting?"

Actually, Andy,  I love the sound of a drummer playing something over and over precisely because of these really small variations in the timbre and rhythm of the thing being played.

I personally love repitition.  I think that the entrancing elements that it provides make it much much more than the some of it's parts.

As a studio drummer I find a lot of young producers are actually uncomfortable with how minimalistically I play, but, to be frank,  the great pop tunes of all time tend to have rigidly repetitive drumbeats with
very few fills.  There are, of course, exceptions but if you look at a busy drummer like Stewart Copeland,  it was really Sting and Andy Summers who were the drummers in that group:  holding down the fort minimalistically so that Stewart could go ape shit crazy over the top.

It's just my personal aesthetic but I have noticed that if I stick to a groove in a disciplined fashion that there is a palpable effect on a live audience.  The groove gets deeper the longer you commit to it in
my own personal philosophy

but, as one wise Yogi once said,  "The truth is one and the paths are many".