RE: dancers

   I worked as an accompaniest for dancers for 20 years. One approach is
get the rhythmic  information from the dancers so that one is sort of
underlining or shading what they're doing rather than providing a rigid
  ,different than the way drums and bass lay down groove in band
.It's possible to get a really interesting feedback loop this way. It
be  more difficult with looping,you'd have to ride the tap tempo
,but it could be done. Another way is to do texture instead of groove ,and
to sort of do dynamic counterpoint,contrasting the empty spaces to make
stand ou more,sort of, draping  or framing the stage with audio texture .
must say that it's also entirely possible that you're giving someone the
impression that you're going to take the spotlight and they're trying to
you in your place. I've often thought dancer's have the most fragile egos
all artists-but then I think of working backstage with a particular
rockstar guitarist who was the bitchiest person I ever encountered-  then
there were this actor in LA......
Unfortunatley many dancers and many musicians haven't actually experienced
what happens when you really get entrainment between dancers and players.
kind of dynamic dialogue that's a really incredible thing,whole cultures
have been based on it.