a way with mirrors

  "effort to be a bit
more gracious in accepting the kudos, while still
being self-aware of the areas in which I needed
improvement."

Gracious is the phrase I use also. Sometimes it's easy to be too involved
in
technical details to get really tell how something is coming across. I
developed the habit of never listening to the recording of a show till
after
I've lost the feeling it generated.Sometimes one that felt great sounds
like
shit,and I don't like the deflation of finding that out while I'm still
high
.Sometimes one that was really a struggle or had "importatnt mistakes ,has
some quality that makes the mistakes irrelevent. There's much complex
subjectivity ,and I must say I do at times think an audience is
"wrong".But
being gracious seems to me the best response.
   I can't do it with looping yet ,haven't begun to master the gear ,but
with other sorts of performance. I like to not have to think about what
I'm
going to play or how,but instead put my attention on what it feels like in
the space what I hear,what I feel resonating in the room,and put that
through. A trick I've found really useful is to give pieces a definate
ending -no drawn out crescendos ,noodlings ,or everyone trying to have the
last word , period end of sentence . Then instead of fiddling with gear
havinga drink, noodling over the next song,everyone puts full attention on
listening to the audience resoponse,recieving whatever energy is there,and
putting that into the next song.A feedback loop.