Re: a small sampler?

On Nov 9, 2004, at 17:05, Michael Peters wrote:

> can anyone recommend a _small_ sampler? 8< 8< 8< 8< ... a sample
> playback
> box would be sufficient - the ideal thing would be a tiny box that
> would
> play vst instruments.

Oh, "a hardware box that plays VST instruments" is actually available,
but they are incredibly expensive! A second hand sampler can be found
for a very fair price. The Emu sampler is known to be good, but it's
not particularly small. I have an analog synth that I actually like
better then a sampler for midi guitar playing. It's an Oberheim Matrix
1000, to be found second hand for a good price (a Nord MicroModular is
even smaller, and cool sounding to my tastes. Here's looking for
one...). The oberheim has six voices and can be set to use six midi
channels, one for each string. But you can of course set up a sampler
program with six mono mode voices as well. I still regret selling off
my old Roland S-330 sampler that I was using with my midi guitar. It
sampled only in 12 bits but this made it very nice to blend behind the
direct guitar string sound - not too deep bass and not to prominent
treble. And it enabled me to set up sample patches with loops running
first in one direction and then returning backwards, playing back the
same sample in reverse. This guaranteed some very "alive" pad sounds,
that my more expensive 16 bit Akai S-1000 sampler could not provide. I
think the Emu can also play samples by alternating direction, but If
this is important to you pleas check it out for sure.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---
http://www.looproom.com (international)