Re: Behringer Stuff

Hi all, the other Stephen speaking here,

as for Behringer stuff, I must point one thing out before I comment on
their
products. I used to do some freelance translation work for Behringer a
couple of years ago, and I wasnīt treated very kindly after all. I have the
impression this company is good at borrowing other peoplesī ideas rather
than come up with something totally their own design but this is not to be
discussed here.

I donīt like most of their products as they tend to work rather poorly. I
once had their two-channel denoiser which was based on the RSP Hush 2000
design, and while the Hush is almost unnoticeable when properly adjusted,
the Behringer was pumping the shit out of hell. Their Virtualizer reverb
had
the drawback of being impossible to program, and telling from the reverbs I
got out of it, it wasnīt worth the effort anyway (my Hammond spring reverb
in my modded ARP 2600 sounded more impressive).

Yet, there is one product I can only recommend to buy. Itīs their now
discontinued MX 2642A mixing desk. Basically a 16 channel (8 mono, 8
stereo)
mixer with six aux paths, four groups, four stereo returns and additional
two track input. I have never ever seen such a neat design packed into 19"
(8U). As I use a lot of looping units and a lot of treatments live and in
the studio, the many routing options of the 2642 are just wonderful to have
and beautifully laid out. The sound of it can be a hassle, though. Stay
away
from the early designs which usually come in a dark grey livery (some
revisions didnīt even have proper EQs and input level controls for the
stereo sections). These units have poor input preamps and they sound as if
there were pillows right in front of your speakers (thereīs a clear loss in
treble response above seven or eight kHz). If you get one of the latest
revisions (which come in bright silver livery), they sound fantastic (I did
a lot of recordings with mine, and I impressed some sound engineers who are
using really big consoles by really big names... and I mean big).
Crystal-clear response, decent preamps, good-sounding EQs, very low noise
floor, at a very decent price (they were blown out at 300 Euros a piece
when
the production ceased). I have mine mounted in an L-rack (10U/10U) which I
use for both studio and live work I have never toured execessively with it,
though, thus I canīt say anything about roadworthiness but it has stood up
all major hassles well so far.

Mind you, I am not a Behringer endorser, by any means.

Stephen.

BTW (for the record): I was fired because I did the translation for the
ownerīs manual of one of their smaller mixers from German into Dutch, in
close collaboration with a colleague from Holland who did all he
proof-reading and stuff... one of their Dutch employees was of the opinion
that this job was obviously done by a Mof and therefore not as properly as
one of his countrymates would have done it... no further comments. Now go
figure why their English manuals are so bad... they do all translation
themselves.

"Human beings are a disease, the cancer of this planet, youīre a plague.
And
we are the cure." (Agent Smith / Matrix)

Visit the official [īramp] website at www.doombient.com