EDP hardware

hi Andy, Kim, Mathias et al

Just wondering from this recent thread about what sort of hardware
platforms are suitable for an EDP revision.  It seems running say, an
embedded RTlinux or one of the low latency linux kernels on an x86
hardware platform can achieve hardware type latencies.  Have you
considered developing loopV for a pre-specified x86 hardware setup?  For
instance, the via eden series of motherboards can easily be made to fit
into a 1u rack box, and they already have sp/dif out (plus, they can run
fanless and hence silent).  I know I'm simplifying things, but it
wouldn't be impossible to have one of these boards, with a silent DC-DC
power supply, an extra ADA stage for better converters than are on the
stock board, plus a linux install on a compact flash media, running
silently with latencies similar to current hardware.  Even if only for
prototyping, this would reduce costs associated with hardware
development considerably surely?  It also broadens future possibilties
for evolving Loop into areas not possible on a dedicated DSP platform,
such as multichannel looping.  How about a 12 node cluster of nano-itx
boards
(http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia_N_spec.jsp?motherboardId=221)
serving up 24 channels of edp madness?  ok, so i'm getting carried away,
but you see where I'm coming from.

I'm not a developer, but I have worked in an audio R&D company, so I
can't be completely misinformed about this surely?  any thoughts?

cheers

Michael Noble