RE: In Praise of Taking Risks with Artistry (was conundrum, re: bjork's new CD)

Good thoughts, gents.  Thanks for putting your pennies into a thought
process that has always been a bit of a rock in my shoe.

Interesting approach Rick, because I feel like sometimes I'm coming into
a space of being more 'honest' with myself when I kick back and enjoy an
old Willie Nelson record, or Nat Cole with his trio (Oscar Moore
rocks...need I say more?), or some mellow dub-tronica (Tosca, Thievery
Corp., etc), instead of listening to something just because it's pushing
boundaries.

I'm actually ENJOYING the music, rather than calculating how 'cool' it
is because it's out there, you know?

And at the same time, because I like certain experimental music, and
I've been an 'alternative' music lover since I got into punk rock at a
mid-teen, there's a bit of a guilt trip, too.  Gotta keep up with the
'more alternative than thou' joneses.  As I get older, I care less and
less about such things, and just try to relax and enjoy.  So that brings
me full circle and the fun starts all over again.  What do I like and
why?

Seriously...I've figuratively worn the grooves off of Kind of Blue,
Birth of the Cool, and In a Silent Way.  But I've tried to listen to
Bitches Brew all of about 3 or 4 times, and find it almost unlistenable.

And I used to keep buying records of artists I respected, and as they
got further and further into their own 'expression', I just realized I
was buying their records for some other purpose than enjoying the music.
Robert Hampson of Loop and Main is a prime example.  After a point, I
was like "what the hell am I doing?  I don't even like this...."

And I like Helmet a lot more than I like Bjork, so there!  Hahaha....

Ramble....over and out...

The hotel arrangements for Y2K4 have been made, so me and the wife will
be there.  Looking forward to it!

Best,
Rich