Re: OT: the conundrum (was Bjork's new cd MEDULLA... and looping?)

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, the toy room wrote:

> As musicians and music lovers, how do you approach artists that you
> actually 'respect' more than you 'like'?

Snip!

> But there seems to be a collection of artists, for me, who I respect
> very much for doing what they do, but I honestly couldn't really give a
> shit about listening to their current creative output.

I think you said it VERY well already. You recognize that there is
something creative and perhaps even exciting and certainly sincere. But
the actual work doersn't speak to you. I think that is an extremely
enlightened (and generous :)) way of looking at it.

There are plenty of artists who I respect and like the *idea* of or
like *some* ot their work and not all. Not just experimental musicians
either. I don't really see it as a conflict and if you give them the
benefit of the doubt and say they are speaking what they want to say for
themselves then it's certainly valid to say YOU don't "hear" it speaking
to you. I think saying so is very healthy and shows you think and process
music and art on a deeper level.

Of course, always leave room for changing your mind down the road too :)

D_
HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.HelpWantedProductions.com
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.