RE: OT: LRAD new sonic technology

> this thread immediately grew into two completely different fields:
> Ultrasound and Infrasound.

I heard a radio feature yesterday about bats and the ultrasound that they
make. This guy had a bat detector, a small handheld device that one can
point towards where one thinks bats are, and the device (which has a mike
in
front and a small speaker on top) translates the ultrasound into human
range
sound, so one can find the bats easier. He used a rustling plastic bag, a
tinkling ring of keys, and a noisy PC monitor to demonstrate how everyday
sound sources (even the ones that seem to be quiet) produce ultrasound,
translating their ultrasound into sound that one could hear. And the best
thing was: there is a bat detector for kids available here in Germany for
40
Euros (from Kosmos), complete with a CD of bat sounds. A new toy to play
with! I've ordered it immediately but haven't received it yet.

Has anyone used bat detectors as special sound/effect for their music yet?

-Michael
www.michaelpeters.de